View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2018, 01:41 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 637 V8 gas engine

I was never around any Crackerbox GMC's but the guy Dad drove for the longest hauling livestock had two L-series Steel cab GMC tilt cabs, one had a Working '5th, from high 3rd you went to low 4th, low 5th, shifted the axle to hi, and 4th, then 5th in high. The other one had a conventional 5+2. Both either had 401 or 478 engines. Later on he bought a Chevy C70 with a Toroflow diesel that had the cab of a GMC B series. Bet that's a pretty rare truck today! It was actually Dad's favorite truck once he disconnected the exhaust stacks from the top rear corner cab mounts, they set up a deafening vibration in the cab, but the truck had fair performance with the BIG V-8 Toro-Flow, 5+2, power steering. At that time his other two trucks were Emeryville's, climbing up and down into and out of them got old, Dad let the younger drivers run them.

But anyhow, Awesome fire truck. Bet you could make good money washing 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floor windows, cleaning gutters, pruning trees, etc. I'm not a fan of ladders!

The Crackerbox was the epitome of a minimalist truck. Minimum cab, short wheelbase, big engine and transmission. I drove a couple TransStar's, a CL9000 Ford, never got into the Astro 95 or White Road Commanders my company had, all their tiltcabs had bunks. Put lots and lots of miles on a pair of RoadBoss 2's and an S2200 Binder.