View Single Post
Old December 26th, 2023, 05:16 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1500 Custom
LordNatedawg will become famous soon enoughLordNatedawg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Papa Smurf" - 1966 GMC 1500 Custom

Quote:
I feel your frustration...
Rebuild kits for NP435's are available if needed. As you said, could be as simple as a stuck detent.
NV4500's are the most common in Dodge trucks but need an adapter plate. Not sure if the GM unit just bolts up the the V6 bellhousing. In both cases the shifter moves back in the cab, very close to the bench seat.
I have a SBC 350, so my trans options are nearly endless. The NV4500 did come with Dodge commonly, but they were also in quite a few GM trucks behind the small block, big block, and LS motors. GM trucks of all kind are much more common at my local wrecking yard than Dodge.

Regardless, after a bit of thought and research, I think a better option would be to utilize a TR4050. A more robust, smoother shifting version of the NV4500. My old NP435 will be stashed away for later use. I can mate it with my 351E and use them to restore a different vehicle back to factory original some day.

The TR4050 swap will not be cheap nor easy. But I'll let you all know how it goes. Just don't expect any updates on that any time soon. Gotta save a bit before I can afford that. In the meantime I'll try to tackle my fuel leak and blinker issues.