View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2018, 06:48 PM

Truck: 1968 HM80 with a 478M and a few engines plus a Toro-Flow
turbobill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Allison 6 Speed GMC 401

Wasn't aware of those two companies. So I researched it and on the PSI website what do I see?.........a turbocharged big block Chevy. A good read too.

As you can probably tell, I'm a big fan of turbocharged gasoline engines, but their naturally aspirated 8.8L engine looks good on paper too. I hope it catches on as some seem unhappy with the V10 Fords.

At the last job I worked at, we had a fleet of diesel trucks. The medium duties spent a lot of idle and low power time and clogging DPF's was a huge, expensive problem. One new '16 Mack tractor I was driving had constant problems with the urea injection system and I spent a total of a two days on the road in various Mack shops while they tried to figure it out. A '14 Freightliner tractor with a Cummins was trouble free in the 75,000 miles I drove it though.

During my school bus days, regeneration of the DPF was a constant problem. I always knew when the regeneration started, so I'd drop it into 4th and run it on the governor. I never had to do a parked regen but most of the other drivers did, sometimes with students aboard.

You couldn't give me a new diesel today and it looks to me like the big gasoline engines may be on a comeback for medium duty work. Where I live, diesel fuel runs $.60 more a gallon than regular gas, so the fuel cost per mile advantage of a fuel sucking modern diesel evaporates.