View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2014, 03:32 PM

Truck: 1961 GMC 4000 (Fontaine flatbed) w/ 305B engine
Crosshairs6 is on a distinguished road
Default 1961 GMC 4000 with 305B

I bought the subject model truck with just over 64,000 miles on it. I have been watching this truck for years asking the older gentlemen if he would sell it. After 3 years I finally bought the truck. I towed it back to my house on Monday June 2nd.

He said he parked it where I found it and it was running on propane. The truck does have a standard gasoline tank behind the seat as well. I have found and ordered a GMC 1961 shop manual online but it is not here yet. I am itching to start working on my new project. Pictures of the truck are posted on the picture albums section of the site. "Crosshairs6 truck".

I want to run this truck on gasoline and remove the propane tank. What changes do I have to make to the carburetor and ignition system to make this happen? There is a toggle switch on the dash (look at pictures) but I assume there is more to this than flipping a switch. I plan to remove, inspect, and clean out the fuel tank. I want to try to get the truck started now. I will change out fuel filter and change the oil. I will change out the spark plugs and spark plug wires and probably go to an HEI ignition at some point. I just want a solid running ranch truck.

Any advice from all the experts on here regarding switching the fuel back to gasoline would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

S/F,
Shannon

Own a 1961 GMC 4000 (Fontaine Flatbed) with a 305B engine