View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2020, 12:30 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 1002 GMC V6-305E
LEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enoughLEWISMATKIN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Info on rear wheel bearings

If the axle shaft is pitted in an area where the Timken inner seal wouldn't hold up, then by all means use the SKF bearing. If it isn't, I would use the Timken bearing. You can fill the cavity with wheel bearing grease, and the inner seal will keep the gear oil away from the grease. If you choose the open sided SKF bearing, I then recommend that you overfill the axle with lubricant. This is my reasoning: oil has to migrate down the axle tubes to lubricate the axle bearings. If you only fill the axle to the bottom of the fill hole, the only time oil gets to the bearings in any quanity is when either one side is on a side incline (L or R) or in foam/splash form. When the axle is overfilled (i tell people to cover the bottom half of the fill hole. Fill until lubricant runs out over your thumb, then install the plug). Oil will migrate down the tube, and get to the wheel bearings, eliminating the dry start which can happen. I hope I have been of some assistance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.