Thread: New guy
View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2016, 05:38 PM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockv6 View Post
V6/12s are a fun world to play in. I always wondered why GMC quit them except maybe the couldn't sell enough parts since they hardly ever broke down, and fuel consumption was another mark against them.

I could never really get a legitimate answer from anyone why GMC stopped producing the V6 as well as the 60 degree family of engines. I watched that period of time closely back around 74 and it appeared to be some sort of planned obsolescence that was from the hierarchy of GM and not the GMC Truck & Coach division. GMC Medium Duty Truck Brochures in 1974 did not list any of the GMC V6 or Turbium 478 Diesels, you could not find H, J or T 7500 series brochures at the dealers which were models that were exclusively powered by the V6. Yet when you would go to the dealer all these trucks in 74 still had the V6. To me I saw the trend of everything going to Chevrolet powerplants around that time as a reason of cutting production costs since Chevrolet engines were a lot cheaper to make than the big V6's. I think even GMC historian Don Meyer brought that up too. When you really think about that it makes sense because the GMC Truck and Coach division never had produced an engine of their own from that point, their engine plant ceased operations in Pontiac Michigan
I wasn't around many V6s except in a few V6 pickups neighbors had, but several V12s used as stationary irrigation engines. There were many of them used in our area and everyone really liked their longivity, but even burning natural gas, fuel consumptiion was huge. When parts became a problem, and cheaper engines were available with much less fuel use, they faded off in the sunset.
When I fixed the two up, neighbors thought I was silly to bring the dinasaurs back, but I've found that many younger people had never heard of them.
The people at the museum I gave the one truck to said the interest was enought they built an open shed on the side of one of their buildings to house it, as well as a '47 Spartan trailer house I fixed up because I had propane on both, and they couldn't exhibit them in an enclosed building because of insurance limitations.

Bob Dylan on here is working hard to preserve them too.
Let's all work at keeping some around for "automotive history".

Thanks for you imput, and again to Jolly for the site that we can compare notes and exposure for the 6s and 12s.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.