View Single Post
Old June 17th, 2019, 10:09 PM

Truck: 1962 GMC 1000 panel truck
Chuck78 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dana 44 rear disc conversion 5 lug, drum type parking e-brake vs Eldorado/Seville combo calipers?

Aha... I did just dig this up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryGMC View Post
Being a Jeep nut and old truck crazy has given me some unique perspectives on how to improve/modify our old stuff without going broke in the process.

For the rear use an Isuzu rodeo/Honda passport D44. It has disc brakes. Usually a trac lock 3 series carrier with a thick 4.09 ring gear and six bolt axles. These are 95.00 in the pick and pull yards. These are 1/2 inch narrower than the stock D44 in our GMC's . And 100.00 was on an adjustable brake proportioning valve. Keep on thinkin.... Barry Charon

No clue what lug pattern these are, but this is another helpful tip. As long as they don't use a driveline e-brake as they are perhaps both 4x4/AWD?

EDIT - it sounds like it is 1998-??? Isuzu Rodeos which were also rebadged as Honda Passports. I did not know this. And from what I am reading, they are 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. That is what our half ton 1000's were stock, was it not? Wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface is allegedly 63" - very close to our Dana 44's. Weld on the proper trailing arm bracketry, and this could be a good swap with off-the-shelf axle availability...
Some of them have a really cool finned aluminum diff cover as well.

The 6 on 5.5" lug pattern makes it real difficult to re-drill it to 5 on 5, as some of the holes would overlap. I think I read that the Grand Cherokee Dana 44 rear disc with drum parking brake was a 5 on 4.5"? That could be redrilled far easier since you could stagger the holes. Or perhaps use the Wilwood rotors which have several different lug patterns.

Also, I think a general theme here with converting our rears to disc is that the axle shaft wheel/drum register needs turned down to 3" or so, from closer to 3.5" - in order to fit the proper discs for at least the Seville/ElDorado conversion.
*'77-'79 Suzuki GS motorcycles, '76 Rickman CR900 roadracer.
*Dirtbikes: 2 Kawasaki KDX220R's, '77 Suzuki PE250, '83 PE175

Last edited by Chuck78; June 18th, 2019 at 03:35 AM.