View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2019, 06:52 PM

Truck: 1962 GMC 1000 panel truck
Chuck78 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dana 44 rear disc conversion 5 lug, drum type parking e-brake vs Eldorado/Seville combo calipers?

Well Rock Auto just had one caliper left of the AC Delco remanufactured variety, and I was considering buying it and a Centric for the other side to match, just to have a set as they are getting more scarce and expensive, but that caliper sold since last night and they have none left! I prefer AC Delco or Bendix parts over all others especially critical life-saving components like brakes and steering (Moog,TRW, etc), so I searched the part number, and based on the other brands using part numbering with a 1 or a 2 at the end to designate left vs right, I used the 18FR792 part number that I had seen on Rock Auto (now brings up nothing as they sold the last one), and changed the last digit to a 1, and found an identical appearing opposite handed caliper via google search. So these are available from some sources online. I actually scored them for $120 for the pair, NO CORE CHARGES, so I could not resist even though I wasn't sure I wanted this setup vs modifying a better more modern setup to work. Since these are a direct bolt on with the "big Ford" bracket kit that OldeDays Classic Parts sells for $79.99, plus AWD Astrovan front non-ABS rotors or Cadillac rotors, I figured I'd snatch this up. I have PLENTY of projects 2 wheeled and 4 wheeled that will require extensive fabrication work to retrofit my choice of parts, so a simpler bolt-on will help me out immensely here.

So for the best quality loaded remanufactured complete caliper with e-brake linkage and springs, AC Delco brand:
*18FR791 - ACDelco Professional Rear Passenger Side Disc Brake Caliper Assembly without Pads (Friction Ready Non-Coated)

*18FR792 - ACDelco Professional Rear Driver Side Disc Brake Caliper Assembly without Pads (Friction Ready Non-Coated) 18FR792

If I had a better choice of 5 lug drums for the older axle, I would have leaned more towards just keeping the drums, but the GM corporate rear drums to convert a D44 to 5 lug drum are not an exact fit, although it was rumored that a certain brand of drum years ago was slightly wider / deeper friction surface and actually fit perfect, but the current drums that I have leave the inside edge of the shoes hanging out maybe 1/16" past the edge of the drum surface. I was never too happy about this, and a disc rear is a nice (not absolutely necessary) upgrade, and adds more "bling" as well... and will help out towing motorcycle trailers in the Appalachian hills and mountains, as well as if I ever relocate out west (have many friends in Colorado/New Mexico mountain areas, and may have to tow bikes and Suzuki Samurai out there....Can you picture flat towing a Suzuki Samurai with a utility trailer towed behind it?! Road Train ala 1962 GMC 1000 / 351C big block V6 power!).

I really was trying to keep all replacement parts as OEM off the shelf parts, in case I bought some 6 lug aftermarket conversion rotors from a supplier that eventually goes out of business, or if I need parts on the spur of the moment for a breakdown far from home, as the convenience of just ordering something from a NAPA store for the next day delivery would be much nicer than having to hassle with tracking down an aftermarket supplier and next day air shipping parts. This is a big factor for me not leaving the rear a 6 lug, as converting to the newer disc brake front would require this kind of aftermarket-only front rotor if retaining 6 lug. With the Eldorado/Seville etc rear calipers, Astrovan or Caddy rotors, and a 1989 or 1991 Suburban (73-87 pickup is same) front end, I will have parts readily available anywhere for a very long time to come, rather than a 60-62 only part, or aftermarket-only vendor parts. Plus the Torque Thrust wheel deal that I came upon for a 5 lug, that sealed the deal.

If anyone is pursuing the modern drum parking brake integral to disc rotor hat type swap, PLEASE DO POST YOUR INFO HERE, as those parts will be more readily available for some time to come, vs these old Caddy/full size luxury car rear combo calipers...
Although I am REALLY SURPRISED that no one is building brand new versions of these for as popular as they are across all makes and models and types of cars and trucks for rear disc conversions... Even the 4x4 non-GM crowd (including Toyota owners etc) look to these old Caddy calipers for rear disc conversions...
*'77-'79 Suzuki GS motorcycles, '76 Rickman CR900 roadracer.
*Dirtbikes: 2 Kawasaki KDX220R's, '77 Suzuki PE250, '83 PE175