View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2014, 01:22 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road
Default Changed tires on split rims today

While I am waiting for parts to arrive I thought I would tackle putting the new tires on the stocks rims today. These rims have a split ring that locks the outer bead ring in position. In order to remove the ring one has to move the outer bead down to expose the ring and remove it. I at least have an old manual tire changer so I didn't have too much difficulty breaking the beads loose. The problem that comes up is that the outer bead has to be driven down and held there while the locking ring is removed. I have a long rectangular plate that was long enough to span the entire tire, I punched a 2 1/8" hole in the center. I placed a couple blocks of wood on the bead ring used the screw hub of the tire changer to drive the plate down. It worked to hold the bead rings down so I could get to the locking ring.
I wired brushed every surface, making sure there wasn't any crud in the grooves or on any surface that had to slip into position. Put my shiny new tubes from Les Schwab in there (about $70.00 for 2) plus the flap to protect the tube, Lubed everything up with the correct tire lubricant from Napa and pushed the locking ring into position. I used the plate I had modified as a cage and inflated the tires up while on the tire changer, very carefully, stopping and banging the ring with a lead hammer. Deflated the tires, and then inflated them up.
I balanced the tires on a bubble balancer, so I am good to go.

Last edited by jagarra; December 10th, 2014 at 01:32 AM.