View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2016, 09:29 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup
Culver Adams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

[QUOTE=FetchMeAPepsi;62612]

Today I went out and tried to find where my rear end gear ratio is stamped (and failed. How the heck do I find the gear ratio?) but while I was out...

---
Hi Cecilia, Fetch, The Blond, and all the little Fetches,

I'd like to side track your blog by asking a hundred questions and passing on twice as many thank-you remarks. A voice in the back of my head tells me to stick to the topic for the sake of your other readers. That means we have to get together for a ...hmmm... oh yeah, Pepsi. In the meantime, please consider the new gap in radio air waves, caused by Prairie Home Companion's changes, and see if you have the spare time to put Cecilia, Fetch, The Blond, and all the little Fetches on the air, or into a novel, or on screen.

Back to gear ratio: following is from

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

which focuses on GMC and Chevy Advanced Design trucks.

--
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Rear end
Date: 11/4/03 ?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

?
To:

Jack up both sides of the rear of the truck.

Place a tape or chalk mark on the 12 o'clock position of a rear tire.

Also note the the position of the drive shaft and mark the drive shaft so it's revolutions can be counted.

Turn the marked tire one full revolution and count how many times the drive shaft rotates.

It's easy to distinquish between a 4:11 rear end (one tire revolution equal 4.11 turns of the drive shaft) and, for example, a 2:73 rear end. It's harder to distinquish between close rear end ratios.

Therefor, it is best way to remove the differential cover, count the pinion and ring gear teeth and divide the one by the other.

--
Subj: RE: [oletrucks] Rear end ratio
Date: 11/4/03

(Bruce Kettunen)
To:

If both rear tires are rotating the same direction, it is one revolution.

If one rear tire is prevented from rotating, it is two revolutions.

If one tire is held and the other tire turns, the spider gear in the differential causes the drive shaft to rotate at half the speed it normally would. This works the other way too. If you brake one wheel the other one will spin twice as fast. Don't try this at home.

Don't forget to put the transmission in neutral.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

--
Subj: Re: [oletrucks] Rear end ratio
Date: 11/7/03

To:

With a helper you can mark the tire and drive shaft and roll the car one revolution of the tire and count the number of turns the drive shaft goes around.

With two wheels up and positraction with both wheels turning the SAME direction when rotated the same applies.

With an open differential and one wheel on the ground, 2 revs of the tire and count as best as possible the number of revs of the drive shaft that is the ratio. (Example: 3.5 drive shaft revolutions is a rear end ratio of 3.5:1.)

Ed ke6bnl

--
Hope this helps: it's old information but probably still works (like Cecilia, me, and other stuff).

Regards,

Culver
1961 GMC K1500
Minneapolis, MN