View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2015, 03:40 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cayoterun's new folly--GMC/Chevy bus

Tom: Good helpful comments:
Engine/Tranny Compartment: It's about 36"Wx48"L.
Under Floor: The horizontal floor supports are spaced about 2' apart front to back, that sits on the frame. Only thin belting material for pads. They have pre-drilled holes to accomodate different frame widths. It uses long 3/8 bolts, nuts on top in floor support flange, then a 2"Wx1/2" strap iron under the frame. When it's all tied to the frame, the frame and body is ridgid. The only flex it has is in the axle springs. The front axle is straight. It's a "primitive" old body, but simple and strong. The outer body skirts are about 12" down from floor level to hide frame/w gas tanks, etc hung on outside of frame. Skirts hide all that.
I looked at a '60s IHC 2ton truck, and it didn't have "kick-ups" on front or back.
I sure hope I can stick with matching chassis and driveline, so I'll know what parts to ask for, without very many mods. The only change I hope to change, if needed, is the length. (Longer or shorter), then fish-plate the cut.
Max headroom inside is only about 66". It's low.
Time consumption isn't a problem, and it's just something to get out the house, and play.
I like shop time much better than golf, bowling, fishing, or sitting in the coffee-shop telling lies with the other old loafers.
Money, I need to be careful, as it's not likely to ever return much even if it's ever finished. It's a big project for me, for sure.

Thanks

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.