View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2021, 03:43 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1500 Custom
LordNatedawg will become famous soon enoughLordNatedawg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Papa Smurf" - 1966 GMC 1500 Custom

Tried to finalize the timing on my engine today. Things were going well until my alternator died. Shortly after that happened, my distributor cap decided to snap off. Oh, and I had to stop a few times to let my engine cool down because it was running at 240 according to my thermal gun.

My truck is dead, but it presents at least two opportunities for upgrades. I'm going to install an HEI distributor and an internally regulated alternator. Additionally, while I have the distributor out of the way I will also install an electric oil pressure sensor. I'm hopeful that sorting out the timing will also help the engine run cooler.

Sucks to take 2 steps forward and 3 steps back, but it'll be good to get this engine running smooth and clean.

I know there is some speculation on whether HEI distributors will fit on a 350 in our trucks, the main concern being firewall clearance. From what I've seen it'll be a tight fit but it will indeed work. I'll let you know otherwise.

Tomorrow I'm making a trip to the parts store. Hopefully I can get my truck back up and running before I have to return to work next week.