View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2014, 05:12 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside, 1961 1000 Wideside
snazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: NO VIN number plate

This is my first post though I've been a member of this great forum for a good while. I became a GMC admirer about 35 years ago when my father-in- law bought a low mileage 63 with the 305 V6. He liked to tell people that it had pistons the size of coffee cans. Pretty close actually, depending upon the coffee can size.

To the point, I have a 61 which has the VIN on the nomenclature plate on the kick panel, but not on the forward area of the door frame. The two holes are there on the door frame, but no evidence of any plate ever being riveted or removed. Paint appears original there.

I almost didn't buy the truck since I thought it should have the riveted on stainless VIN plate. I began observing pictures of other 60's and 61's and found several with the two holes drilled in the door frame but no plate there.
Besides my 61, I found six or seven more right here in the photo album area of this forum, and two more on Craigslist. I have only observed this on 60 and 61 models, up to 1 ton.

From my observation, it seems that the factory was not consistent with
attaching the VIN plate to the door frame, even though 2 holes were drilled, at least on the first two years of production.

I'm sure that many of you are aware of this. I just wanted to bring it up.
Again, thanks for a great site and hats off to many talented and knowledgeable people!