View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2014, 05:32 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough
Default Re: NO VIN number plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazzypig View Post
This is my first post though I've been a member of this great forum for a good while. I became a GMC admirer about 35 years ago when my father-in- law bought a low mileage 63 with the 305 V6. He liked to tell people that it had pistons the size of coffee cans. Pretty close actually, depending upon the coffee can size.

To the point, I have a 61 which has the VIN on the nomenclature plate on the kick panel, but not on the forward area of the door frame. The two holes are there on the door frame, but no evidence of any plate ever being riveted or removed. Paint appears original there.

I almost didn't buy the truck since I thought it should have the riveted on stainless VIN plate. I began observing pictures of other 60's and 61's and found several with the two holes drilled in the door frame but no plate there.
Besides my 61, I found six or seven more right here in the photo album area of this forum, and two more on Craigslist. I have only observed this on 60 and 61 models, up to 1 ton.

From my observation, it seems that the factory was not consistent with
attaching the VIN plate to the door frame, even though 2 holes were drilled, at least on the first two years of production.

I'm sure that many of you are aware of this. I just wanted to bring it up.
Again, thanks for a great site and hats off to many talented and knowledgeable people!
So the bodies were shared between the Chevrolet division and GMC, so the rivet holes in the door frame on 60-61's are for the Chevrolet purpose. I have personally never seen a picture of anyones' 60-61 GMC having a door jamb tag separate of the nomenclature tag on the kickpanel, so I am thinking the door jamb tags started in 62 or so probably. So wondering if Jagarra found his VIN on the inside tag?

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)