View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2020, 03:35 AM

Truck: 64 PU
Dano64 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where's the smoke coming from??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
1. Gas does not smoke. You have either an oil leak that is dripping down on exhaust or you have blow by or exhaust leak. You will need to visually figure out where smoke is coming from. Which side of motor or something to give us a clue to help you. I assume it is blue smoke.

2. The vacuum advance hose needs to be on the carburetor, NOT on the PCV like the video shows. Get a single port PCV and hose it to the same place you show on the manifold. Hose the distributor vacuum advance to the carburetor throttle body port, next to the air/fuel adjustment screw.

3. The distributor gets one wire directly from ignition switch "on" terminal to Distributor Red. The other distributor wire (yellow) is not used unless you have a tachometer. You seem to show two wires attached to the red distributor wire. This is incorrect. Take off any wires on the starter solenoid "R" terminal and remove or tape them up. This may or may not be the two wires you speak of in the video. Those to wires need to be taped up or removed. As I said, Install a wire from ignition "ON" to the distributor Red. That is the only wire involved.

4. You don't need a relay on anything but the horn.

5. You don't rebuild a carb if motor is running good. identify where carb is leaking exactly. Tighten the screws a little. If that doesn't do it, replace the leaking gasket. Those carbs are known to warp and gaskets won't seal anymore. There really is no fix for that unless you are very handy or a machinist. Hope you do not have that case. Mikes carburetors speaks of that and how to possibly fix. Try a new gasket and tight screws. Don't strip the screws.

6. On the video you keep mentioning TDC. If you are timing a motor, you are looking for TDC on the compression stroke. You mention that #1 and #6 are at TDC at the same time. That is correct BUT one is on the compression stroke and the other is on the exhaust stroke. BIG DIFFERENCE.

7. You are asking this in the V6 and V12 engine forum, this is a straight 6 motor? Every time you start a post tell us the year of the truck, the year of motor, the type of motor. the size of motor. Video says 1970 250 Chevy motor.

If you are unsure of anything, ask before acting.
1. Well I feel a lot better if it's oil not fuel. I failed at finding it visually; it was coming from a lot of places I think. It's possible - please don't laugh - that my son rather coated the exh manifold with oil as part of 'cleaning' it because he'd heard me say that oil can prevent rust (in totally different context). Even so, I thought it would have burned off by now in maybe 10 minutes of smoking a lot in my driveway.

2. Will change this.

3. Ignition on to distributor Red. Tie off Yellow.

5. Just got the carb kit for the gaskets; wasn't planning a whole rebuild. It was running poorly before, but after fixing the vacuum leak; MUCH improved. Smooth. Will try gaskets and if that fails will look up on Mike's.

6. Yep. the video was a while back and I did get this figure out. thank you! I pulled the lifter covers to see which TDC it was.

7. I'm fried and just messed up. Will do, thanks. And not really sure the motor year.