Thread: engine swap
View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2018, 09:36 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic65 View Post
AZKEN is right, SHORTWIDE. Swapping out the 305 for a 454 or any other engine will not be a minor task. A few things you will/may have to do:re-configure exhaust, motor mount placements on cross-member, throttle linkage, probably a bigger radiator, engine mounting to existing tranny. Will installing the 454 require the entire drive-train to have to be adjust forward or back? If so, transmission mount location modification and drive-line lengthening or shortening. If you move the transmission mount, the hand brake cables will need to be adjusted. This is all off the top of my head. Oh, and fuel line modifications will most likely have to be done.

Back in 1993, I inherited my grandfather's 65 with V6. Back then I was 19 and the internet did not connect folks like it does today. Shoot, I did not own a computer. Anyway, the engine did not run and my small town parts store had little parts for the V6 so I put in a Chivy 350/350 combo and got it back on the road. There was a lot of mods I had to do. Now, I am in the process of building up the original 305E and putting it back in the truck with the original transmission.
I agree with them. Check to see if you can find the oil source. For a suggestion I would pull the valve cover to see if the oil drain back passages is plugged with sludge. If it was it would allow the oil to slip down the worn exhaust valve guide into the exhaust.