View Single Post
Old March 3rd, 2016, 07:40 AM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Disk Brake Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by makindust View Post
David
I found a recent post of yours where you commented on doing a 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton conversion. Did you use a donor truck? I'm looking at using a 1978 GMC 3/4 ton as my donor, but trying to research to make sure the cross member will swap without major modifications.
Yes, we had two trucks for the change.
-BUT-
One was a fairly complete and running '66 1/2 ton and the other was a chassis, cab and bed '66 3/4 ton. So everything swapped over because... well, same year.
We did not complete the swap though since someone was interested in buying the truck, and intended on replacing all the axles anyway (modern disc brakes, etc). He bought both trucks, and some loose parts I had. Funny thing is he was a Chevy guy but knew about the 305. The way he talked he sounded like he was going to hotrod the truck, but keep the 305 to be different.
I really didn't want to sell all we did, but the money was good and needed. He even paid "the kid" (who is living in a 5th wheel in the yard with his fiancee while they try to find a house) to help him haul. Worked out good all around for us.
And we (I mean the kid) didn't have to finish the swap. Just had to put it back together enough to get on a trailer.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500