View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2023, 11:15 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

Quote:
A little insight on the Model T Ford - the engine and transmission shares the same engine pan - couple this to an enclosed drive shaft to the rear axle the engine/transmission oil has a free pass to the differential gears if any leakage occurs past the driveshaft babbitt and brass bushings - believe me when I heard (and believe) they leaked directly after they left the assembly line. Ok, rear pumpkin gets extra gunk from the engine/transmission pass the pinion bearing and raises the level in the pumpkin above the axle shaft level and then the mess runs or creeps pass mutliple thick felt washers that seal them at the wheel hub and drips out the brake drum onto the tire and ends up on the ground. Nothing but a oily, greasily, dissolved babbitt and metal particle infected puddle. But, I love it.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

And coupled with very crude oils by todays standards it is likely to generate a sticky mess.