View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2016, 07:19 AM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1960 Pick up VIN location

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPirate View Post
FYI - for 1000 series trucks, 'N' was the designation for 60 and 61 model years only.
Don't listen to AZKen on this. He is wrong.

I have had a couple 60-61 GMCs, the VIN tag was on the pillar. Sometimes they have the data plate on the kick panel as well, sometimes they don't.
If it wasn't 11:06 at night and raining heavy, I'd go photograph mine.

Apparently some had it on the pillar, others on the data plate. Some had no VIN on the data plate. I'm not sure there was any true uniformity to how or where the VIN was placed.

No GMC of the 60-66 variety that I have scrapped has had the VIN stamped on the frame. Chevy did, but not all trucks of that era either. I have scrapped 2 Chevrolets from 60-63 and neither had such a stamp on the frame.

Don't have to wait for tomorrow. I had a picture of my first truck, a '61.
http://oeltd.net/doc/My%20Vehicles/6...500Grey-04.jpg

And you are correct, the "N" is only for "60 and '61 model years. The information on the "old" pages is very accurate, I'd go by what it says. A lot of time and effort was put into those pages.

AZKen might also want to read his manual. Not just look at the pictures.
and I quote:
The chassis serial number is stamped on an identification plate, shown at left. Plate is mounted on cowl left side panel inside the cab or on left door hinge pillar.

Obviously the larger data plate won't fit on the pillar, so the one you show (which matches mine) was used.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500