View Single Post
Old July 29th, 2021, 11:31 PM
Banned

Truck: 1960 gmc truck
ZDADDY is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1960 Gmc 305 v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
It is a VERY LOW RPM motor. Built for torque. To buy one you must realize that. If you want a hiway truck, there are many choices. Many are very expensive. I don't know how much you can do. I don't know your skills, tools, experience. The suggestion are coming in from members. It all takes work and some time. Maybe just a rear diff gear change will work. It worked for ED. That would be your first step. If you are going to take it to have it done, it will be way cheaper to find a 12 bolt Chevy donor to swap in. The only way to be sure of any ratio is to take off the cover and read the numbers on the ring gear. Please state if it is a 1/2T or 3/4T.
My 1960 GMC 1/2T had a Dana 44, Jakes 1960 GMC 1/2T has a Dana 44. Yours does not. Don't know what it is yet, corporate 10 bolt? or a drop out? or other. 1/2 T or 3/4 T? Could be stock or could have been swapped already. I can't see your lug nuts to tell if yours is 1/2T or 3/4T.
Your truck seems to have some custom cab features.
AZken,

Thanks for the response, I traded a 54 Pontiac for this truck that ran and drove, for a 1960 gmc 1/2 ton, 6 lug, big block v6......that doesn't run.........That's about all I know about it.......That's why I'm here, for guidance from people like you, who have one, or have had several.I am going to post pics of the rebuild as I go, I got the money, and the time, just need the dos and donts from people who done it before. I live off an interstate, and would like to have it drive down it. With low rpms. I rebuilt a 63 falcon in my 20s, (strait 6) and it always had high rpms when driving it, and don't want to reapeat that.
Iv never replaced gears in a rear end, but that don't mean I can't do it.I can take apart **** and put it back together, but that don't make me an expert. The truck had a column shift In it, but currently has a 4 speed floor shifter in it. If I would have noticed that when I traded for it, I probably wouldn't have bought it.I'm pulling engine tommorro, and off to the machine shop.Already have new gas tank, and will do brakes and brake lines while being bored and honed.Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for the comment.

Zdaddy

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk