View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2016, 02:42 PM

Truck: 1963 GMC Fenderside
John Mann is on a distinguished road
Default Re: '63 Fenderside in Colorado

Thanks, TJ.

Disassembly has gone pretty well. A couple surprises. The right front fender was bowed out when the wheel came off--it landed on the wheel on the way to the ground--which impeded the pax door opening/closing properly. But when I tried to unbolt it, it just wouldn't come off--it acted like there was that "one more bolt" holding it on, near the cab at the bottom. Well, it wasn't a bolt. Someone had tack welded the fender to the body. Can't figure out why.

My goal is to disassemble, clean/paint/modernize and drive it again--hope I live long enough. Also, I want to do as much as I can by myself. It's a learning project. The bed came off okay using the engine hoist. I had to get creative with the cab. Those are 2x10s running through the cab.

One of the bolts I found in the flywheel dustcover belongs holding the cam cover in place on the block.

I didn't think I'd ever get the U Joints pounded out.

I was a little surprised at some of the rust. Supposedly it's a Colorado truck, but I'm not so sure. I need to replace sheet metal on the driver side floor and I think both cab corners. Also, the inner fenders, at the front, are rusted through.

I've never welded, but want to give it a try. So I'll try to repair the rust damage to the radiator support bracket.

I won't show a picture of the brake/clutch fluid. It is x-rated and Jeannie would kick me off the forum, and rightly so. The drum brakes are scary--leaks everywhere.

The exhaust manifold bolts were snug, at best. One was missing and another was finger tight only.

Sludge in the bottom of the tranny. About the consistency of warm grease and an inch deep.

That's all for now. More later. Disassembly is almost complete. That means I'm halfway done to driving it again, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0638.jpg (1.75 MB, Multiple views, 22 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_0714.jpg (1.37 MB, Multiple views, 18 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_0716.jpg (1.72 MB, Multiple views, 17 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_0726 (1).jpg (1.42 MB, Multiple views, 16 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_0745.jpg (2.25 MB, Multiple views, 20 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_0765.jpg (2.64 MB, Multiple views, 19 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_2072.jpg (1.77 MB, Multiple views, 14 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_2163.jpg (1.76 MB, Multiple views, 17 clicks)