Thread: My '65 GMC
View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2016, 03:13 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
57chevywagonman is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: My '65 GMC

The truck did have a V6. It is however long gone. I got the truck from my friend who brought the truck to Ohio from Oklahoma. The truck had not run since 1993 (last registration). He tried to get her running but could only get her to run on 5 cylinders. After taking a compression test he found number four to be completely flat and number 6 to be very weak. He tore the top end down and found #4 piston to have a hole in it and #6 cylinder badly scored. He scraped the origonal engine several years ago. Wound up doing nothing with it, Selling it to another friend. He did nothing with it and sold it back. I got it with lots of new weatherstripping and brake parts etc. But no engine and trans. He did offer me a Buick 350 and TH400 trans that he originally had planed to install in the truck. However I think I would be offending fewer people with a 350 Chevy. I want to be able to drive the truck on road trips and to local shows. I have heard the old V6 was a good pulling motor however not fast and pretty poor gas mileage. What other motors might it have come with? I was thinking of modifying a set of Chevy V8 valve covers by welding in the "GMC" script from the origonal valve covers and painting the engine up to look like a factory engine. Nothing fancy but very clean and detailed.

Mike