Thread: Piston swap
View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2022, 11:12 PM

Truck: 1965 1500 GMC
MoscowMule is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Piston swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBray View Post
How bad is your block? Generally speaking 351 pistons are harder to come by than 305 pistons. Anyway, you are talking about going from 4.25" bore to 4.56", that's an awful lot of material to remove and because of the high nickel content of the V-6 block they don't cut easy. And that's assuming there is enough cylinder wall to go that far as others have pointed out. A quick check on Ebay shows 2 .060" 305 pistons available now. Your best bet is probably just keep looking for 305 pistone, they do show up.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/31265662593...hoCn-IQAvD_BwE

I have no connection to the seller.
I thought I read somewhere before that the 305 and 351 shared the same block just a bigger bore on the 351.I know where I can pick up a 351 for a few hundred.If nothing else I guess I could rebuild the 351 if the block is decent.
My block has one cylinder that had a broken ring and a double ridge in it from it.I asked him about pulling a sleeve in that cylinder .He said the rest of the cylinders are to bad to make it worth it.Also I can't find .060 rings so pistons won't do any good without them.