View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2020, 05:19 AM

Truck: 64 1/2 ton
tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1964 GMC Model 1002 build journal

Interesting James, I will have to look into a way to control the water flow, I might just keep it simple and have a manual valve I can turn off in the summer. I'll see what I have stashed around.

I managed to get the entire heating assembly off and the fan motor is toasted, and the heater core was original to the truck and evidence of a leaky core. So I ordered another core from the Filling Station, decided to modify the heater box to accommodate the larger heater core, mine is the airflow thrift heater and has a 7-1/8" long heater core, went to the full size core which measures a full 9-1/2". So it is roughly 25% larger. The Filling station cores are a full 2.5" thick like the originals, some of the other vendors sell a 1.5" thick core and you have to modify the mount to secure it to the box, plus it is effectively 1/2 of what these are in heating surface. Interesting enough, the mounting plate for the core is stenciled to be cut out for the larger core, it literally took less than 5 minutes to make the change. I'm glad I did, this heater works great blows hard and hot.

Here are a couple pictures of the heater box parts after I glass beaded, painted and assembled.

Now onto a new set of valve cover gaskets to cure an oil leak on the passenger side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2262.jpg (51.4 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_2263.jpg (60.1 KB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_2264.jpg (36.9 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_2266.jpg (37.1 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_2268.jpg (50.6 KB, Multiple views, 16 clicks)

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, SM420
Finished Cab off restoration

1964 GMC 1000
305 V6, SM 420
Restoration is now started, still looking for an oldsmobile style power steering pump