View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2017, 12:14 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Won't stay running

I'm still trying to get the half ton '67 I bought recently to run properly. When I bought it, it had been sitting outdoors for several years without being started. The guy I bought it from had the original Stromberg rebuilt just before I bought it. The engine would run as long as you didn't push the gas pedal down more than about 1/3 of the way. I just finished replacing the fuel pump, the gas tank, and the pickup tube/sending unit assembly. The original tank had lots of crud in the bottom, and the filter sock on the end of the pickup tube was near fully clogged. I put 5 gallons of ethanol-free gas in the new tank.

Now when I start it, it will rev up then die within a few seconds. I can repeat this over and over, but it won't stay running no matter what I do with the choke or gas pedal. One clue may be that there's hardly any gas in the see-through filter near the carb. I'm suspecting the "new" fuel pump. It's a NAPA that I bought as a spare many years ago that's been sitting on the shelf since then.

Anybody have any suggestions?
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435