View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2016, 06:42 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Too much timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's GMC View Post
These engines have super low compression so I don't think you have to worry to much about detonation with 16 initial. I heard that same saying from the old guys as well. lol Setting by ear I had mine originally at 4 degrees. Then I bumped it up to 8 and felt a nice increase....then 10 and felt little more, higher didn't seem to make All that much difference so I stopped. I'm considering the HEI from HEIDIZZY on ebay. I'm gonna try and do an acceleration video so we can do some comparing. Hopefully this weekend.
Greetings again to all following this thread!

Personally, I would stick pretty close to factory settings, and certainly nothing over 10 degrees advance. Given factory specs, you are already 2.5 degrees above what is recommended, and I don't believe you will damage your engine with it set at 10 degrees initial advance since it's not that big of a jump. However, there is one thing to consider in advancing initial timing too far, and that is kickback against the starter which can, and has resulted in damage to starters, such as a broken starter nose cone. This is something that must be considered no matter what engine you are working with. Again, I wouldn't recommend anything above 10 degrees BTDC.