View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2016, 02:00 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Twin Stick Pickups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
Ed, I remember your dad showing me that but it's been too many years. Can you provide us with more details? I'm doing more and more towing with my GMC and I may consider doing something similar.

Is it an overdrive only or does it actually have in-between gears? I have the handbrake adapter on the back of my transmission. I'm assuming the driveshaft would have to be shortened?

TJ, please keep me posted on what you find out.

Thanks,

David
David --

It's a totally separate two speed transmission connected to the rear of the main 4 speed transmission by a short driveshaft. It obviously requires shortening the main driveshaft. It's mounted with a couple of angle iron cross-members. It's operated with a long cable connected to the big knob on the dash just to the right of the ignition switch.

Although theoretically you could operate the two boxes together, giving you 8 forward speeds, in reality (for me anyway) it doesn't work easily enough to do gear-splitting. The way I use it is to leave it in direct 1:1 drive while shifting up through the gears, then pull out the knob while in 4th to go into the 1:0.82 overdrive. This turns the 4.57 rear end into a 3.75 effective ratio. Downshifting the Brownie requires a well-timed double-clutch, so I usually don't downshift it until I'm at a complete stop.

When I drove it out here from Wichita, I just left it in overdrive for most of the trip. Driving it around town now, though, I just leave it in direct drive. It does have a bit of a whine when in overdrive.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Instrument Panel.JPG (161.4 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
File Type: jpg Brownie 1.JPG (177.7 KB, Multiple views, 16 clicks)
File Type: jpg Brownie 2.JPG (192.3 KB, Multiple views, 14 clicks)
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435