Thread: Another New Guy
View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2017, 04:09 AM

Truck: 1963 1000
csnsdhl is on a distinguished road
Default Another New Guy

Hey all, another new member here. I'll try to give you the brief version but lets see!

I found this site roughly 15 years ago when I first acquired my 63 GMC. I was doing some computer work for a guy and i traded my labor for this old truck that was sitting in the weeds down from his house. He told me it wouldn't shift after it warmed up or something like that.. anyways, after honing out the clutch slave and a kit from NAPA where I worked at the time..... bingo! Runs and drives like a champ, and the truck has a neat local history to boot.

Fast Forward to now.

Truck has been inside and run a couple times a year etc.. all is still mostly well. Finally getting ready to fix this baby up this winter! Just coming off a shoulder surgery a week ago so step one, R&D. So here I am typing this and preparing for the project.

At first I wanted to rod it but as you all know the V6 is just too sweet and the cost to play the game can be extreme. That's not what i really want. What I do want is Safe, Reliable, and Fun.

My thoughts are:

Power Steering
Power Brakes
Change Rear End or Ratio
Seatbelts

SO!

A few of my questions and concerns are how to and what are the best ways to proceed. I've done some reading on PS conversions but what is the best route.

The disc brake front and better front components from a donor truck are appealing as is power brakes but more importantly maybe duel chamber for safety. But, can I run hydraulic clutch with a duel chamber and a booster? Anyone done it?

What is my best truck for a donor? Rear end upgrades? Am I going to 5 bolt?

One of my other things was possibly putting in air bags, no sooner i went to type this today and someone has shared a similar build! Darn near what I would like to do but need to figure out the $$. Id really like to get this truck nice on a 4K budget.

Alright, enough for now I'll share some pictures.

Thanks All

Casey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCF0539.JPG (300.2 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCF0540.JPG (355.5 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCF0541.JPG (292.7 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCF0544.JPG (397.1 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)
File Type: jpg DSCF0542.JPG (314.3 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)