View Single Post
Old January 17th, 2015, 09:25 PM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cayoterun's new folly--GMC/Chevy bus

Quote:
Really neat piece. if rust isn't an issue you could consider just updating the existing chassis with a modern disc brake front axle and maybe even a disc brake dually rear. it would be neat to restablish the side windows even if you black them out or panel them over on the inside. there are a lot of RV conversions of our early Flxible bus with paneled over windows. it seems something is lost in the character when that is done. some side stainless would look great too. tom
Glad you chimed in, Tom:
Rust: So far, it seems to be as clean as it looks. I haven't found but just a few small rust-thrus anywhere, and they've been mainly in the entry way. I'm sure more will show up as I get all the old carpet, mats, etc. taken out.

Windows: I agree on that. The outside panels have been fitted well, pop-riveted in, and paneled over inside. It could be the glass is still intact between, maybe?? We'll find out when we strip the inside. All the side glasses roll up and down, and the handles are inset and flush with the wall inside. All the glass is flat, so that's a plus for replacement, and the windshield frames are bolted in, so should be easy to remove after a lot of WD40 soaking, then probably half twisted off, but easy to replace.

Drive-line: It's all there except motor/radiator. One thing caught my eye was the 2spd rear-end. It shifts manually. It has a stick for the driver, and a rod that runs almost to the rear-end, then a flexible cable to allow spring travel of the rearend. I've considered putting a Chevy 292 6 in it. I've worked with a lot of 292s on small irrigation wells, and in imo, they're the toughest small motor I've ever been around. With 7 main bearings, those things would run forever. Wish I knew some history on tranny and rear-end condition and how much rust and corrosion had built up in all the years of non-use, and maintenance. The old steering gear box sure has a lot of play in it.
Trim: It has a good "belt-line" now stamped in the metal to dress up.

Abus319 has sure added some good food for thought by offering his '60 GMC 3500 for a donor. That would make a cool upgrade from the 40s with a V6. Tagged and titled as a '60 GMC 3500 "Motorhome". I'll bet that would attract some attention, visiters, and questions around a lake campground.

I have '47 Chevy 2 ton donor truck here I used on the '46 V12 pu, and a lot of parts off it will inter-change with the frame of this. So I think we have the years pretty well pin-pointed from early-mid '40s.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.