View Single Post
Old December 25th, 2022, 02:25 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rear main seal for 305E

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbucketnut View Post
I personally would not do an in vehicle rear main R&R at my age.
Couple reasons, the main being the bellhousing must be removed of course and that is the main support of the rear weight of this very heavy engine. I definitely would not hang this engine off the front motor mounts, that would be a Darwin award winner if the vulcanizing let go of the motor mount biscuit.
Then to consider dropping the pan and then the main caps to drop the crank, oh god then to try and fish the upper seal out. Total F that. Bring out the engine and give it a cleanup and spray can rebuild, get the engine on the stand and inverted and do it correctly that way IMHO. Im going to be 65, and have done a rope seal in the chassis on a smallblock chevy and still have nightmares of that one.
Steve

Greetings, and Merry Christmas, Steve!

I agree that doing an engine in chassis rear main seal would be a rather difficult job and challenge. Better to REMOVE the engine from the chassis and put it on a (HEAVY DUTY) engine stand where it can be turned over bottom side up to do the job PROPERLY! That way, you will avoid making a costly mistake of improper seal installation, and an UNFIXED rear main seal leak!!