View Single Post
Old November 4th, 2023, 07:01 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

First time setting up gears. Quite the learning experience. Been busy with it for about 1 1/2 days, restarted from the original shims 2 times. This pinion had no depth marking, so I assumed it to be 0. Kept adding pinion shims while I had to decrease pinion depth. The contact pattern threw me off because I did not apply enough drag on the carrier when testing. Anyway, almost there now. Just need to move my pattern a little more to the heel and close up the backlash some, it is at .010" now.

Then I'll add the preload shims to the carrier. When I'm satisfied I'll install the new bearings on the carrier and pinion, and I can recheck my pattern and set the pinion preload.

Planning to fully clean the housing one more time before installing everything for the last time.

I've ordered new U bolts and leaf spring bushings from Stengel Bros. I got the tip from James, thank you for that.

Planning to remove one leaf from the leaf spring package. I'll leave the overload springs in, don't want to change a lot from stock, but remove one leaf to see if the rear suspension improves.

The front leaf spring bolt has a nut in a difficult-to-reach place. Need to bend a wrench 90 degrees in order to reach the nut. Can't do it any other way with the bed installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231104_164950.jpg (4.34 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)

Last edited by Prowbar; November 4th, 2023 at 07:06 PM.