View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2023, 06:16 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

Quote:
Well done David.
That pattern looks pretty spot on to me on both drive/coast.
Sometimes it just takes more time to go after the pinion depth to get it looking good on the gear surfaces. I have the same feelings on the backlash .005 seems like a real good setup on new gears - it definitely will wear in a couple or few thousands. Those gears should be nice and quiet if NOS-IMHO. I have found sometimes using some aftermarket brands a little gear noise is still possible with good clearance setups, however it is benign.

I recently did 2- 3.55 setups on 1952 and 1953 pickups with aftermarket gear sets and they both were completely quiet. One could argue you couldn't hear it because of the noisy tires and suspension on one of the trucks though.Patterns are similar to yours.

Again well done, your methods, dedication and persistence to the setup process are to be commended.
Appreciate it Steve! These are DANA SVL gears. They are marketed by DANA but made in India - did quite a bit of research on these gears before buying them. Couldn't find anything bad about them. The backlash is nice and consistent and the pattern is too. They have a phosphate coating but the machining is quite nice I must say. Unfortunately no depth marking on the pinion. Couldn't pass this set + rebuild kit up, as it was for sale in Germany.

Anyway, otherwise I would have settled for DoctorDiff's Dana 60 3.23 gears and rebuild kit.

Had to look up what benign meant! Running 14-inch turbo mufflers that produce a nice sound; don't think a little noise will bother me soon. I am always on the listen for any bad noises though...