View Single Post
Old April 2nd, 2023, 11:33 PM

Truck: 1967 K15 305E
jgpnashville is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 305e Holley 500 swap question

I have a super-low mileage blue '67 K15 with the 305E that I bought earlier this year (it had been parked for >20 years). After replacing brakes and working on the fuel system, I replaced the Stromberg WW with a Holley 4412S 2BBL, but kept the mechanical fuel pump (for now).
The engine runs well, but doesn't idle consistently. I'm not sure I have vacuum connected everywhere correctly. The Stromberg WW had just one vacuum port, but the Holley has 3 vacuum ports - one on the throttle body (power brake or PCV vacuum port according to Holley pdf), the timed spark vacuum port on the choke side that was capped from the factory, and the full manifold vacuum port on the front, under the fuel inlet. I tee'd the single vacuum line from the distributor to the power brake/pcv port on the throttle body, and to the full manifold vacuum port, while leaving the timed spark port on the left side capped.
Something just doesn't seem right - the engine will either idle really high, like 1800-2000 rpm, or drop down to a more standard 700 rpm. I also struggled with the carb return spring - the one from the Stromberg was too stiff and pulls the throttle back into no-man's land when you let off the accelerator where the engine dies. Removing that spring allows the carb's built-in return spring to pull the accelerator back normally, but I know some sort of spring is supposed to be added.
I drove it on city streets today for the first time and it died on me, after stopping to put 15 gallons of gas in. It was seemingly for lack of fuel. The see-through fuel filter I added below the fuel pump was empty, even after just filling up the tank. So, I had it towed home and I'm not sure where to go next. The fuel filter is full of gas now that it's home (off the wrecker), but it just seems out of sorts.
Do I have the vacuum lines connect properly, or should I investigate something else first?
Thanks!
Am I better