View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2015, 12:50 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need Guidance on Adding AC & Power Steering to a 305e big block V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJones View Post
I need some advice fixing up Grandpa's truck.

Last year I found my Grandfather's 1966 GMC 3/4 ton farm truck. He sold it around 2008 before entering a nursing home and passed away in 2010 (at the age of 93). Unfortunately, he either didn't tell anyone who he sold it to, or if he did, nobody could remember.

I called every wrecking yard and car lot for 50 miles and found nothing, I looked on and off for 5 years and had given up, before stumbling across someone by accident last spring who knew what became of it. It had been sold to a guy who repainted it, and sold it.

I tracked him down and found that it had sold two more times before I was able to finally track it down and purchase it.

I am now trying to restore it for my sons to use when they get older. In the restoration, it's important to me to keep it as original as possible (meaning I don't want to part with the 305e V6).

Grandpa used it as a farm truck. He would use it to haul cotton trailers to the Gin. It didn't have Air Conditioning and he never bothered putting it in.
I also didn't have Power Steering.

I'd like to add both to make it easier and more comfortable driving in the city. I purchased Power Steering and AC kits off EBay that both 'claim' to work on a 1966 GMC 1500 3/4 Ton pickup.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to install either (so far) because of the pulleys and brackets.

Does anyone know where I can find brackets and pulleys to add these onto a big block 305e V6? Or, if there is a later model engine that may have brackets and pulleys that would line up with a 1966 big block 305e V6?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Welcome from the Black Hills, Greg. I love stories like yours and the determination to keep the truck in the family! I have a long-time family GMC also. I wish I could help on the parts, but here are a couple of pics of what I believe is a '64 or '65 a friend got a few months ago. He is still trying to get a title. We don't know if the A/C is original but I assume not as it had an under dash unit which is missing now. Maybe the pics might help you have an idea of what to look for.

I can't wait to see pics of Grandpa's truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post
Welcome to the forum, G Jones! That's awesome that you were able to track down and buy your Grandpa's GMC. Keeping it in the family now so that your sons can enjoy it too will mean a lot for them.

As you've discovered with your PS and A/C kits, most of those are designed for trucks with small block Chevys in them. The parts you need for your V6 are out there, but more difficult to come by. We have lots of helpful people here on the forum, so hopefully somebody out there can help you.

When I was upgrading my '62 Suburban, I had a choice of adding PS or A/C. To my way of thinking, A/C is much more important for comfortable driving. I like the exercise I get from not having power steering. If you can find a V6 out of a big truck with air brakes (like I did), it makes it a lot easier to add A/C. I bought the generic mounting brackets from Vintage Air and bolted them to the "ear" on the timing cover (aka water pump housing) where the compressor for the air brakes had been mounted. Click on the thumbnail photos below for an enlarged view:
Hi Ed, beautiful build! I too actually prefer the "armstrong" steering in my '55 GMC! I won't go in to details but I credit driving the old truck as much as possible after a pretty bad illness a few years ago as a key part of my rehab!

Here's the pics.

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Karl's GMC.jpg (1.03 MB, Multiple views, 84 clicks)
File Type: jpg Karl's GMC3.jpg (1.03 MB, Multiple views, 64 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday