View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2018, 02:14 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need Guidance on Adding AC & Power Steering to a 305e big block V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post
Welcome to the forum, G Jones! That's awesome that you were able to track down and buy your Grandpa's GMC. Keeping it in the family now so that your sons can enjoy it too will mean a lot for them.

As you've discovered with your PS and A/C kits, most of those are designed for trucks with small block Chevys in them. The parts you need for your V6 are out there, but more difficult to come by. We have lots of helpful people here on the forum, so hopefully somebody out there can help you.

When I was upgrading my '62 Suburban, I had a choice of adding PS or A/C. To my way of thinking, A/C is much more important for comfortable driving. I like the exercise I get from not having power steering. If you can find a V6 out of a big truck with air brakes (like I did), it makes it a lot easier to add A/C. I bought the generic mounting brackets from Vintage Air and bolted them to the "ear" on the timing cover (aka water pump housing) where the compressor for the air brakes had been mounted. Click on the thumbnail photos below for an enlarged view:
Ed - That is a 401 engine correct? Would the same bracket work on a 305e?

1965 GMC 1000, 305E

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1970 Torino GT, 302
1973 Mach I Mustang, 351W