View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2014, 06:54 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Priming a 351e v6 engine

No frustration on my part. I'm learning from Ed like you are. Don't turn motor to check passage holes until you put the Dizzy back on or we will be explaining another procedure. When I did mine I did turn motor over with starter and I did see oil moving. Did not do the drill thing. I thought I remembered doing it on other motors with a drill and seeing oil. But as ED has pointed out, the drill on pump rod would be to prime pump and pressurize the system as seen by having a gauge hooked up. To see oil, I guess you need to rotate motor with hand or starter after priming. You probably already did prime. Seeing movement up in the rockers, you should be ready to start for a min or two. Use fresh gas from a fresh container, NOT from old tank. Or starter fluid only, to get a second or two of running. Wear safety glasses and keep an extinguisher handy. I would do it outside for safety and exhaust fumes.
You are correct, you have a mechanical oil gauge. The oil goes thru the line and the pressure is read by the dash gauge. On an electric oil gauge, there is a sensor on the motor. You can hook up gauge as I did in my pic above or if your dash gauge works, voila!

Last edited by AZKen; November 24th, 2014 at 08:42 PM.