Thread: 1966 c20
View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2015, 09:46 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
Hantke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1966 c20

Okay, this was fun! I got my lock installed (upside down from what I wanted, but I really didn't want to modify the handle).
Step 1: remove the inner door panel (you must first remove the handle, latch handle, and window crank).
Step 2: remove the outside handle (two small screws inside the door, not hard to reach at all)

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Step 3: remove the old lock
First you need to remove the ring on the inside, mine had just a small piece of wire.
Second remove the assembly (I hit my button with a light tap from a hammer and it popped out in my hand)
Step 4: Cut the new lock flanges to match the old ones.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Now take a sander and your cut off wheel and work it down smooth until it fits

Step 5: insert the assembly and test fit
Step 6: swear at the snap ring they gave you because it DOES NOT FIT.
Step 7: make it fit
Step 8: re-install the handle with the lock inside of it
Step 8: smack the button while it's locked to make sure the snap ring doesn't break (it is a lock, after all, you don't need people getting in that easy!)
Step 9: re position the snap ring with a screw driver because you are too lazy to remove the handle again and bring it back inside. (Repeat steps 8-9 until it works, I only repositioned it once because I didn't like the way it looks)
Step 10: replace the inside door panel, handles, and crank.
Step 11: get dirty looks from your neighbor because your truck doesn't fit their idea of perfect
Step 12: rev the engine on said truck and embarrass their 6 cyl mustangs coffee can exhaust.
Step 13: sit in your truck for a few minutes with a smile and just enjoy being there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GMC Hunting - I'll get my hands on one of 'em eventually.