View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2014, 02:45 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 64 power steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman64 View Post
I am thinking about converting my manual steering 64 to power steering,is the stock steering system worth installing, or should it be upgraded to a newer system,is chev the same as gmc?I would like to keep it stock but not if is going to be problematic.any advice would be great,Thanks Dave
This line here is something you should never say if you're working on a GMC.

Quote:
I would like to keep it stock but not if is going to be problematic.
If you dont want to put the time into it you might be better off getting a Chevy instead of a GMC. Im not being rough with you but thats the truth. "Chivvys" are easier to find parts for and there is a lot of aftermarket add-ons for them.

If youre interested in the GMC as a GMC then youre going to have to put some time and effort into keeping it a GMC instead of another chevy clone.

Ok, with that out there, on to the power steering. The power steering on the GMC with the 305 v6 is fine, but from what i hear it takes more turns to turn the wheel than most people are used to. You can go to a '73 - (i think) '87 chevy pump, steering gears, pitman arm etc. and make them work, but you'll need to make a bracket to fit the V6 for the pump if you dont use a factory pump (junkyards have 'em).

Again its going to be work. You cant just disassemble and reassemble in an afternoon, but once it's done you'll have something you can be proud of.

And if you need help with any of it you can pop on here and ask. Good luck! Post pics or risk the curse of bad karma!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.