View Single Post
Old June 10th, 2014, 03:16 AM

Truck: 1961 GMC 4000 (Fontaine flatbed) w/ 305B engine
Crosshairs6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1961 GMC 4000 Rescue and repair

Today it rained pretty good here in the Dallas area so work was cancelled. No interest in being in a crane when lightning is striking everywhere.

I took the day to take the gas tank to the radiator shop and I was told it should be ready by Friday. They will acid bath and seal the inside of the tank. The fuel residue in that tank is like syrup right now. I still have to get a new sending unit for the tank so getting to start the truck this weekend maybe a bit optimistic.

I did pick up a new fuel pump, fuel line, spark plug wires and a new gas cap today from NAPA. I took the propane mixer off the top of the carburetor. Special thanks to Cayoterun for his time on the phone explaining to me what to expect with the disassembly and the "in's and out's" of the propane system. I installed the new fuel pump today as well. I did not remove but I did clean up the Zenith carburetor so I could read any information stamped on it. I should get all the plug wires installed tomorrow evening.

Any pointers of how to clean out steel fuel lines would be appreciated. The short steel fuel line from the tank to under the cab is easy to clean out with diesel. The long steel gas line from the fuel filter on the frame to the fuel pump is a different story. Again, any incite would be appreciated. As I said, the fuel residue in the fuel line now is like the tank. It's all like syrup.

The last years the truck was running was on propane. I am hoping the transition back to gasoline is smooth.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Own a 1961 GMC 4000 (Fontaine Flatbed) with a 305B engine