View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:54 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I forgot to mention "Tools you will need".

You'll need:

7/16 Nut driver
11/32 Nut driver
5/16 Nut driver
1/4 Nut driver
Flathead screwdriver for prying and banging
Hammer
A rebuild kit from Ebay or wherever
A toothpick or paperclip if your kit doesn't include something similar

(Jeannie if you notice this would you move it to my first post on pulling the alternator? I can't edit it anymore)

Now moving forward you'll need to remove the rectifier. It has three bolts on it and one nut. It also has a little black boxy thing shown here on it. Don't lose that, you won't get a new one in your kit if it's like mine!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

After removing the three bolts you'll remove the one nut. It is the other side of the terminal you connect to a wire in your truck. It might fall out of the back when you take it off. If it does you'll probably never see it again.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Now for the bearings. My kit came with bearings for both the front and the back. I read online about people just popping them out with a screwdriver easy peasy.

Mine didn't. I ended up digging all of the little bearings and an unbelievable amount of grease out of it, ripping it to shreds. That left the case the bearings were in. At the time I didn't know you could bang on the back of it with a punch and just push it on through. You should do that instead of what I did. Or you can take it to a mechanic and he can use a press to push the bearing and sleeve out.
If you're hardheaded like me you can probably get it out yourself. But it's not easy.

In learning how to handle this I hit it with a hammer, banged on it with punches, pried on it with stuff, and generally buggared it up really well.

I spent 2 hours banging on this thing trying to get it out.

I questioned whether or not it COULD come out. If I had been a swearing man I would have called it and it's creators everything I could think of. Instead I just said, "Dang it!" alot and made frowny faces. Finally I grabbed a screwdriver and placed it on the very tiny seam of the sleeve and the housing. It's VERY tiny.

I got lucky and the screwdriver caught.

I carried on and banged it straight through.

It popped this thing out on my toes.

SUCCESS!!!!!!

Ok get your rebuild kit. Mine came in looking like this from Ebay.

Unpacked:

Grab your bearings for the back and get 'em snugged up.

Now bang 'em in very gently until you get it flush with the housing. Don't get it crooked or you'll be buying a new set.

Now put this blurry little bolt in. Mine came in my kit so I got to use a brand new one. New stuff makes me happy.

Now drop in your new rectal fire (ha ha ha).

Then put your bolts in the rectifier. Don't forget that little black boxy thing!

Now drop in your regulator (the white thing on the bottom of the pic).

If you'll notice in the above pic I damaged the center fin on the housing in front of the rectifier. This was done when I was trying everything in my arsenal against that stupid bearing. Be careful where you pry...

Get your brushes now. Mine were missing until I looked in the holes. Duh. I dug them out and put the springs in the slots. Then I put it on top of the regulator.

Put your three prong thingy on after that (metal part with black box in the middle, it bolts to the three prongs on the rectifier).

Put this little caterpillar looking thing on last. My kit didn't come with a new one so I hope it's working.

Now poke your paperclip, toothpick, or metal thingy through the back to hold the brushes in.