View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2013, 08:53 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Flip it back over and hold the brushes in against the springs so you can poke the toothpick-y thing through the holes and keep them locked inside.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Now grab your big wire wrappy part and gently put it back on. It looks like a bunch of copper spaghetti that someone dropped in a blender. It might have holes that go by each screw port to help you see which side goes where. Also there's those three wires. They make good markers too.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Tighten down these three nuts. One thing I can't abide is a fat yellow chicken.

And loose nuts.

Settle the top portion back down into it's new bearing home taking care to put the upper bolt hole in the right location compared to the two prong plug outlet.

Run the bolts in

Then remove the toothpick thingy from the back to set the brushes free and give it a spin to see if it spins! If you did it all right it should spin pretty freely.

Mine didn't. Like most everything I do I had to do it twice.

I tried to remove the front nut to get the front bearing replaced and had an awful time so I didn't replace it. You should if you can. When I tried I ended up marring the spinny teeth things as you can see above. It caught on the magnets inside the spaghetti thing. That was bad. I ended up filing it down so that it cleared again.

This means that it's now lighter on that side and will be rougher on the bearings by a little bit. So I've probably got a new alternator in my future after all, but for now it works.