View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2023, 06:35 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

As talked about I made some tools to help form the gaskets from the 305/351 size to the 478. First off a plate with the locating dowels is made. In the center of each bore a hole is milled to hold a steel cup, which fits a bearing. This is the center is my bead roller setup.

The process starts by grinding down the old crush ring until they can be separated. This also separates the gasket. One bore is formed at a time, to keep the pieces properly located.

Then with a Dremel, the blue gasket layer is enlarged to 5.125" + some extra. A piece of plastic is stuck between the steel backing and blue gasket material to protect the steel backing from being cut.

Then with the roller and forming dies, the sheet metal backing is brought upwards and a new ring is formed. The length is then ground down to the right height and deburred. Then it is rolled over, forming a new crush ring. The sheet metal works easily and takes the shape well. The crush rings look good and smooth.

See the last picture for the finished modified gasket.

One head has already been installed with a new gasket. I also used some head gasket sealer as an added measure. So far it looks good. Tomorrow planning to reassemble the engine, then hopefully a first start without any troubles. I will be running straight water for the first start (without any calcium).

Of course, this is an experiment, maybe they blow out quickly, maybe not. We'll see. Some redneck engineering at its finest

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230505_121639.jpg (3.57 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20230505_112240.jpg (3.75 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20230505_131446.jpg (4.50 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)