View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2016, 10:44 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default V6 confessions and hard won victory

Probably no one can use this info but I will relate the story for entertainment of the smug.
So I took out my 305 months ago to "refurbish" and paint. The 1960 K1000 has a removable tranny cross member. So I took it out first and cherry picked the motor and trans together. Some of my removal techniques were lost with too many sleeps. Anyway, just put it back in. Thought I was going to die trying. New motor and tranny mount rubber. Reverse order, right? Put in the motor with tranny and then the cross member. Got motor in, even got front mounts in and lightly bolted. Jack under SM420. Went under to put in cross member. Well it won't go in at all. Got mad, then regained composure. Sat down and thunk on it. How could a cross member that has to fit tight and bolt on both sides with no adjustment possibly just slide in? Can't! So I says to myself, self, I says, "Xmember has to be forced in", I says. So no room to swing a BFH or ram bar, means; Take out motor, take off trans, put in cross member by force and chip the paint, put in motor again, take off tranny cover, sling tranny with picker thru passenger door and bolt it up trying to reach those stupid bottom reverse bolts. So far: cross member and motor in. Next step is do the rest after rest. I always thought a removable cross member was trick. It serves no purpose except to trick you. They welded them in later. I know how to put a motor in but failed on this one. At least the first time. What a monster to handle and lay under. Good grief! Pills! Pills! Where are my Pills!? I will not post videos of this embarrassing episode and hope that WikiLeaks does not get them.

Last edited by AZKen; October 9th, 2016 at 11:02 PM.