View Single Post
Old August 29th, 2013, 07:39 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Help for a new guy

I wouldn't drive it that fast being that it's a new to you truck. Maybe 40-45 max downhill with my buttcheeks pinched together but that's me. I'm risk averse lol.

If it was me my next step Id trailer her home or drive her slow (30-35 mph) with my wife or a friend following me to make sure I made it. Carry some tools for simple repairs like screwdrivers (both kinds) needle nose pliers, a set of wrenches, and a belt for the engine or some pantyhose from the wife. And a couple of gallons of distilled water in case she overheats. And a quart or two of oil. You never know on a new-to-you truck or car. Part of the fun is finding the trouble and fixin it

Then Id get a pump and pump all the old gas out into a gas can. Dispose of as you think you should.

Then Id bang on it a few times with my hand (not a metal hammer or a road flare ). Aim at that big round bolted in spot in the middle to see if you can knock the sending unit loose. If you can get it to fall down it might work great after that and a new batch of gas. If you hear it moving around it might be the gauge that's bad or dirty. Dirty is an easy fix if you're careful. If you wait a few days to air out you can safely undo all those bolts and just pull the sending unit out and soak it in carb cleaner if it's not moving freely.

Finally I'd replace both gas filters if you have both. One under the cab and one by the carb. After that it's off to Napa for a carb rebuild kit. Take a weekend and take your time. She'll probably run without it but you'll end up doing it anyway soon and its only 15 bucks. Best 15 bucks I ever spent on Cecilia.

Congrats on your new truck! Where are the pictures

Oh I forgot to add if you turn the key off and the gas gauge doesnt move its probably electrical. It can be both though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.