View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2021, 11:55 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

Hello all, sorry for the lack of updates.

Every week I try to spend a couple of hours working on the GMC. School has been very busy so unfortunately not much time to work.

Anyway. I've done the following:
-Drained the old diff. oil and cleaned up the gunk inside the diff. That oil must have been 30 years old. Gears look very good. 4.10 rear. Replaced the gasket with a new one from Felpro.

-The rear wheel seals wore a groove into the steel sealing surface on the axle. I ordered SKF Speedi Sleeves (no. 99240) and installed them.

-All brake components have been cleaned and rebuilt where necessary. I still have to replaced all the brake lines and convert to the dual master. Ordered DOT 5 silicone brake fluid to be used.

While I was waiting on brake parts I've tackled the propeller shafts. What a mess. On of the u-joints was completely cooked - including the press fit bore into the prop shaft. Also the center bearing must have had a poor press fit, resulting in a rubbing motion of the bearing on the shaft. Aka it was worn undersized.

To repair the center bearing I've machine the worn area round and true to the splines. Then machine a bushing that I split. The 2 halves fit exactly on the machined area. Welded these split bushing on the machine area, and them turned those down for a light press fit with the center bearing. It took some doing but all is well. A very satisfactory repair.

The one press fit that was ruined due to the bad u-joint had the ID filled in with weld. it was then bored out for a new press fit. That worked out good as well.

Then replaced the center bearing with a new one from SKF and all the u-joints with new ones from Moog. Reassembled the whole kitten kaboodle and found out that the grease fittings were inaccessible because I had them facing the wrong way (should have faced the grease fittings to the axle itself

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

). So I turned all the u joints around and she was done.

I've also taken the WW carb off and I am rebuilding it. The throttle linkage with the butterfly valves has some play on the shaft. I will ream out the holes and solder on bushings to be turned down with the proper fit.

On the topic of rear axles - what does one recommend for the rear axle wheel bearings regarding lubrication. Mine came out greased. I figured the rear diff oil would lubricate them. Should I grease them, or dip them in diff oil, or fill the hubs with diff oil?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210524_194144.jpg (3.25 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20210524_195148.jpg (2.85 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20210529_204317.jpg (3.11 MB, Multiple views, 2 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20210605_202042.jpg (3.09 MB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg 20210605_203135.jpg (3.13 MB, Multiple views, 7 clicks)