View Single Post
Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:47 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
Hantke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1963 235 V6 1500, short bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCDAC View Post
It is possible the engine had stuck rings and the oil sealed it enough to start and free up the rings. A compression test would be a good idea as it could help determine if the engine is due for a rebuild.

The first two pics are of the mid 1960's 230 that someone installed in my 1955 GMC long before I got it. It really runs nice now after some TLC, cleaning and paint.

The last two pics are a 1957 235 that I got a while back. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, but it was going to scrap and I didn't want to see that happen.

The most obvious difference between the engines is the distributor position is centered front to back on the 235 and it is toward the front on the 230. The lifter cover is one long one on the 235 and it is 2 shorter ones on the 230. Those covers are the sheetmetal plate on the distributor side of the block

Post some pics if possible! Hope this helps.

DAC
Awesome, thanks!
I just got a confirmed job (step 1, done!) and would like to have cash in hand before I bug him too much, I know the guy is still on the fence about losing one of his projects, so i'd hate to pester him to the point of not getting the truck. As soon as i am nearing the right amount in savings i'm going to go over and help him with a project or two and take some pictures, then i'll be able to post them, and come back with a definite yes / no.
GMC Hunting - I'll get my hands on one of 'em eventually.