View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2016, 05:42 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Too much timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
TJ, check out my thread named "Stock 305D Dyno Results". (Sorry I don't know how to insert a tread link inside a post.) I'm still running mine the same as noted within the last post. I do a lot of towing too and it runs great; no pinging, etc.

FYI, I've had my truck for six or seven years and I have the same 'lack of vacuum at the distributor at idle' you've noted. I don't believe I have ever brought it up here, so I'm curious to see what you find out. My intake vacuum is 20.

All other engines I have worked on (I6 & 4 bangers), there is a noticeable difference when disconnecting the vacuum advance line.
Alright, so I did a complete read up on that thread and that was some great info. Thanks for taking the time to write that up! Anyhow, When I had my timing set at 12 degrees advanced the first thing I noticed was quicker throttle response for sure. Motor even seemed to pull better, BUT when trying to cold start I was more involved and even when the engine was somewhat warm it was a bit harder to start. So I came home and backed the timing down to around 10. Need to drive it again and see what happens. Motor will probably be close to the same as before as 2 degrees more advanced doesn't make much difference. When advancing the timing I didn't get much of an RPM increase or decrease. I Do still need to check my vacuum advance as it made absolutely No difference at idle. My 292 would idle at 10 degrees without vacuum and 25 with vacuum....my 305 V6 idles at 10 with or without so something must be wrong.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.