View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2023, 07:23 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1967 305e V6 Fuel Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgpnashville View Post
Tested spark plugs with inline light - all plugs are firing. Gas is getting to carb and float level is near perfect (at the bottom of the side weep hole). When I get it to start, I do so by putting the accelerator to the floor and it will idle for 2 or 3 minutes before dying again.
Spark, fuel, and air - I seem to have all three of these. so I don't know what else to check. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
There is two things I can think of that could be the problem:

1. If the problem started after installing the Holley carb then when you get the engine running, look down the carb and see if it has fuel dripping out of the booster nozzles when the engine is at idle. If it is, the the engine is running rich. While the engine is cold it can handle the extra fuel, but as it warm up it causes the plugs to miss fire. Pull the plugs and see if they are black with soot. You will need to adjust the fuel level on the carb with the electric pump running. On engine with mechanical pump the engine need to be at idle to adjust the fuel level. It should barely come out of the hole on the right side of the bowl.

2. If you have an electronic distributor (doesn't matter which type), your inductive pickup might be bad after it warm up creating an intermittent problem.

I had experences both problems.