View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2016, 12:29 AM

Truck: 1969 305E V-6 C2500 Wideside
1969_CM2590D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Too much timing?

I'm a little tardy on this post, but over this Labor Day weekend i finally got back to my '69 305E 2500. The truck has 41K+ on it with manual everything. Coming form Alabama it was one of the last pickups to have no emission controls. With all that in mind, it's incredibly simple and brings a whole new meaning to the term serpentine belt.

I did the 4412 swap with the 1937 adapter when I got the truck the truck a few years ago. It never would idle right often not holding an idle as well as a hesitation beast on giving it the gas. I get frustrated over time. As time went on, I realized I had misread the instructions for installing the carb and tightened things to ft/lbs instead of in/lbs. A few moths ago I ordered new gaskets for the adapter and carb for when I could get to it, putting off fears I might have warped anything.

Saturday, I put the new gaskets on and once the dry carb got gas, things improved over 1000%. Toning the idle down from what was probably 1000+ RPM, it held its idle much better at the specced 500 RPM.The truck idled for over a half an hour. In the driveway, I gave it the gas and it accelerated smoothly. I let i sit for a few hours and with a flick of the key it fired up. Same thing the next morning. So a lot of problems solved. It still had a slight miss, though, so today I timed it by by feel, turning the dizzy until things were much smoother and reset the idle speed.

With all that in mind, I took it into town for a road test. No stalling and a decent idle, but going up a hill under load there was hesitation. so I got back home and looked into setting the idle mixture. Holley says to use the manifold vacuum for that- so there was one error I'd been making. I have been using the ported vacuum on the 4412 fer setting it up- Holley instructs to use that, but just for the vacuum advance. The advance was checked a while back and was OK. I came across this thread which got me looking into using manifold vacuum for the advance. More to look at as time goes on.

With my non-emissions 305E what I've come across here and elsewhere on the net tells me I should be using manifold vacuum, not the emission controlled ported vacuum. I came across this post here http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/port...uum-95255.html and I'll copy one response below which was pretty enlightening. Comments?

1969 GMC CM2500
2000 Toyota Land Cruiser
1964 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe

Last edited by 1969_CM2590D; September 6th, 2016 at 12:36 AM.