View Single Post
Old July 25th, 2016, 12:59 PM

Truck: 1963 K-1000 Sub, 1963 C-1000 Sub, 1965 C-1000 Sub
jimjaz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Disk Brake Conversion

Hello Suburbangeorge,

I do not have anything against power brakes other than (a potential for) lock-up. Some people will have nothing but. I prefer the look of a non-power brake setup under the hood- no gargantuan booster drum to look at or get in the way of any maintenance that one might need to do. For those that choose power brakes, there is plenty of room under the hood for a brake booster.

I like the control that you have with non-power (disc) brakes. As I mentioned in my original post, a panic stop can cause your brakes to suddenly lock up, and without the booster, locking up the brakes is, simply put, not as easy to do.

I don't need to talk to anybody about what parts I need, because I am quite pleased with what I already have, and just thought that I would share my experience with others that may be looking for input and others' experiences.

My "experience" originally came from researching and reading about automotive brake systems, and some of that which I was reading was telling me that a properly designed braking system does not need to be power-assisted with a vacuum booster, so this is the approach that I took, and by golly, all that reading and research paid off. The original goal for me was to replace the front drum with disc on my 65 Sub, and it all worked out very nicely.

You did admit that you should "probably read this whole thread" before picking on me. I wholeheartedly agree with that statement.

Cheers!

63 GMC K1000 Sub restored original
63 GMC C1000 Sub original
65 GMC C1000 Sub OEM modified
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom SWB original